Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

I should have written this review yesterday. If I had, it would have gone a little something like this:

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this book. It is filled with completely realistic characters facing a situation where there is no right solution. Either way it is decided, someone's life will be ruined. And yet they have to decide.

There is only one problem with writing the review yesterday. Yesterday, I hadn't finished the book. And thus, I must amend my review. Because I do have bad things to say about this book. And it is difficult to remember why I loved it so much to begin with.

My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, is about a thirteen year old girl named Anna. Anna was genetically engineered to be a perfect donor match for her leukemia stricken sister. Her entire life, she has fulfilled this duty, without any major complaints. But now, her family is asking for one more donation. One more donation that will likely not even save her sister. A kidney. Anna does not want to donate the kidney, part because of the risks to her own health, as well as the fact that in the end, it will most likely only prolong her sister's suffering, not save her life. Because of this, she sues her parents for medical emancipation.

As I read this book, I was fascinated. I could not put it down. I have not watched television for the past week, and for most of you who actually read this blog, you know how big of a deal that is for me. It was spectacular. The book is told from nearly everyone involved's perspectives, and you really get to know the characters. You can see where every single person is coming from, and relate to the character you feel closest to. Parents who read this book often relate to the mother who is trying desperately to save her oldest daughter's life. Those who aren't parents relate more with Anna, who wants so desperately to be able to make life altering decisions for herself.

But the end? The ending is 100 percent a cop out ending. I thought I was reading a book where the author would make a decision. I thought we would get to see the consequences of that decision. We don't. I'm not going to go into specifics about it, because I would encourage people to read this book at least for the thought provocation of what you would do if you were in this family's position. I don't want to ruin the ending. But trust me. It's a cop out. Ask me more about my opinions after you have finished.

The ending of the book made me forget why I loved the book in the first place, though I can remember that I did. It is in this regard that this book epically fails.

But hey, I'm just one person. I know a lot of people who love it. I know a lot of people who love all of Jodi Picoult's books. But I am not one of them.

An explanation of the rating, it is neutral for the sole reason that I know that I could not put it down. But like I said, the ending was terrible

No comments:

Post a Comment